Connecticut has the widest achievement gap in the nation. Bridgeport is the state's largest and lowest-performing school district.
In Bridgeport, CT:
- 40% of children live in poverty;
- Children typically enter kindergarten a full year and a half behind in language skills;
- By 3rd grade, less than 30% of students are on track academically;
- 86% of 4th graders cannot read proficiently, and 74% lack basic math skills;
- Of 9th grade students, only 56% will graduate from high school, 18% will go to college, and 3% will complete college
A child’s ability to learn can increase more than 25% in a stimulating environment.