With a strong Montessori influence, Adam J. Lewis Preschool draws on the best practices in early childhood education to provide a rich hybrid curriculum. Our program empowers children to master the skills necessary for kindergarten success, while also emphasizing the process and the joy of learning.
Our classroom is divided into areas of learning, where children learn and grow with a variety of stimulating materials. Overlap exists among all content areas, as no skill is acquired in isolation. Rather, education at AJLP is a dynamic interaction.
Language & Literacy
- Language, in all its forms, is an essential part of our program.
- AJLP fosters a love of reading by exposing children to all types of literature.
- Vocabulary, listening, and speaking skills are developed in both large and small group activities.
- Letters and the sounds they make are introduced, and children are given many opportunities to play with them in different modalities.
- Children begin to write their names and words.
Math, Numeracy & Logic
- Children learn about math by working with concrete materials that they can touch and manipulate.
- Large blocks develop spatial awareness, smaller colored blocks invite patterning, and beads encourage sorting and matching.
- Significant time is allotted each day for children to experiment with varied math materials.
Music, Art & Science
- Weekly music lessons are provided by Music Together of Fairfield County.
- Children engage in song, dance, and movement daily.
- Open-ended activities such as painting with a brush, drawing with a pencil, doing puzzles, stringing beads, and cutting with scissors strengthen fine motor skills and allow children to express themselves creatively.
- Students learn about science and nature through observation, classification, prediction, and exploration.
Social & Emotional Development
- AJLP uses the Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence RULER program to cultivate social-emotional skills.
- Children use the “Mood Meter” each morning, and are actively encouraged to identify and express their emotions throughout the day.
- During all activities, kindness and respect are modeled by teachers and are the expected standards for students.
- Teachers discuss and encourage self-control and conflict resolution.
- Significant time is devoted to fostering empathy and compassion for others.
- As children learn through the movement of their bodies, strong emphasis is placed on the development of gross motor skills.
- Children develop large and small muscle control to accomplish coordinated tasks.
- AJLP’s large outdoor playground provides opportunities to run, climb, jump, balance, and explore—as well as to problem-solve and cooperate with peers.