Adam J. Lewis Academy transforms the life trajectories of underserved children in Bridgeport, CT. Our mission is to provide an enriching, nurturing, high-quality elementary experience, which will set the children on a path of success in school and in life.
Connecticut has the widest achievement gap in the nation. Bridgeport is the state's largest and lowest-performing school district.
In Bridgeport, CT:
- 40% of children live in poverty;
- Children typically enter kindergarten a full year and a half behind in language skills;
- By 3rd grade, less than 30% of students are on track academically;
- 86% of 4th graders cannot read proficiently, and 74% lack basic math skills;
- Of 9th grade students, only 56% will graduate from high school, 18% will go to college, and 3% will complete college
A high-quality preschool experience can change the course of a child's life and close the achievement gap.
AJLA takes a “constructivist” approach to education by blending ideas from Montessori, Piaget, and Reggio Emilia. Emphasis is placed on the process of learning as well as the mastery of skills, and children are invited to take an active role in this journey.
- Lessons are child-driven rather than teacher-directed
- Every child is viewed as a unique individual
- Character development and self-esteem are essential
- Children are taught to think, problem-solve, and advocate for themselves
- Active, hands-on learning is critical to the acquisition and retention of skills